× BlogAboutNew Company OnboardingContactHelp


Can I Enroll In Cobra Insurance If I was Fired By My Employer?

Share this Post:

Can I Enroll In Cobra Insurance If I was Fired By My Employer?

If you lose your job because of termination for reasons other than gross misconduct, you have a right under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) of 1985 to continue receiving your group healthcare coverage.


Your employer is required to notify the health plan when you are terminated. The plan then has 14 days to provide you with an election notice advising you of your eligibility to receive continuation healthcare coverage.

The election notice you receive will spell out in detail everything you need to know about your COBRA rights, coverage options, and costs. While COBRA gives you the right to continue your healthcare coverage, you will be responsible for paying for that coverage, up to 102% of the price of the plan, which includes your contribution and your employer’s contributions, plus up to 2% for administrative costs.

If you are eligible for COBRA, you are not required to enroll in COBRA to receive healthcare coverage.  RedQuote partners with employers and third-party administrators to help COBRA-eligible individuals decide whether to choose COBRA or consider other options, like an individual health plan in their state marketplace.  If you think RedQuote can help you, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Covered Beneficiaries

Any beneficiary listed on the plan has an independent right to receive continuation coverage. Spouses, children and other dependents who will also lose healthcare coverage due to job loss may each elect their own COBRA continuation coverage. You may elect not to continue coverage, but your spouse may independently decide to elect COBRA coverage. Additionally, if any of your dependents are minors, either you or your spouse are allowed to make COBRA election decisions for them.

Maximum Period

If you elect continuation coverage under COBRA, you and your dependents may keep the coverage for a maximum of 18 months from the date of your termination. If you become disabled during and for the duration of the initial 18 months, you may be eligible for an 11 month extension of your coverage. If you or any of your plan’s beneficiaries have a second qualifying event which would have, by itself, caused you to lose healthcare coverage under your plan, then you may be eligible for an additional 18 months of continuation coverage. See your election notice for complete details about your specific plan options.

Published Apr 15, 2016.

Contact Us